Wednesday 9 April 2014

The Dunstane - Meet the Senior Receptionist!



MEET THE…..SENIOR RECEPTIONIST - Dayne Hart

So Dayne…..you have been at The Dunstane over a year now…..time for an up close and personal look at you and your role!


1. What part of your new role as senior receptionist do you enjoy the most?
Dayne in a black suit with a red tie

The added responsibility! Each and every day I am faced with a new challenge and I feel working so in-depth within both Reservations and Reception enables me to really go the extra mile for our guests on all fronts of their visit. Right from their booking, throughout their stay, until (sadly) they eventually have to check-out. Being so involved on all fronts allows me to really get to know guests which is the most enjoyable part of my role.

2. What part of the City Supervisor role do you really miss?

wide angle view of the stroma lounge chairs and tables
The Dunstane City, now our luxury townhouse, felt like my own little project. I felt almost entirely responsible for all guests who arrived and I quite enjoyed that. I knew the building inside-out and it was my first real taste of real responsibility within a work environment so it will always hold a special significance for me. Although the bar area was a lot smaller than our new Stroma Lounge, so it has definitely improved a lot since our refurb!

3. What’s the most challenging part of your role?

I think balancing my time.  On any given day I could be taking bookings, processing reservations, checking reservations, answering phone calls, making orders, serving breakfast, replying to e-mails, checking guests in, checking guests out, serving drinks and often helping with dinner service, so it can be quite a challenge to find a good balance between departments, although I always find time for our wonderful guests!

4. If you could change one thing at The Dunstane what would it be?

Some would suggest swimming pools and spas etc. but personally the thing that would really complete The Dunstane for me would be a comfortable Library with an open fire where guests could relax with a drink, sit back and loose themselves in classic novel. We used to have a Library before our refurb a number of years ago, who knows, maybe one day we could see it return?

5. What’s the strangest thing that’s happened to you at Dunstane?

Well one night at around midnight I was closing up the bar and reception. The hotel was eerily quiet as we only had a few guests staying on this particular night. I locked up the front door and as I walked through reception I noticed that the door to the corridor at the top of the landing was wide open. I quickly looked to check if anyone was staying in that corridor on this night, when suddenly the door slammed closed with a loud bang which echoed throughout the hotel. Now I’m not a big believer in the Paranormal, but that made every hair on my body stand on end… 

6. What event are you looking forward to the most this year at The Dunstane?
street performers at the edinburgh festival

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival! I have lived in Edinburgh for most of my life, now I am excited to experience a different dimension of it in a working capacity. Last year I was unable to work much during the month of august after sustaining a nasty injury playing football, which was such a let-down as I was really looking forward to the atmosphere within the hotel. All the guests are so excited during the festival and there is a real energy around Edinburgh which makes it an incredible place to be.

7. What’s your favourite dish on the menu?

The Haggis Bon-Bons with Home-made Chilli Jam is to die for, however I must say the Traditional Fish and Chips is my very favourite dish. The fish is cooked in a very light Tempura Batter which just melts in the mouth and the Home-made, Hand-cut Chips are like no other I have ever tasted! That question has really made me hungry!

8. Which is your favourite room at The Dunstane?

deluxe bedroom bed, bathroom and fruit bowl
 It is very difficult to choose a favourite room. For a long time I would have answered room 205 at our Luxury Townhouse, largely because of the Super-king size bed and Jacuzzi bath! However I think the Blue Room, room 120 just wins it for me. The décor is so unique, and the bathroom is large and matches the blue of the bedroom. I had the pleasure of spending a night in the Blue Room one time and I was devastated to be leaving the room in the morning.
blue bedroom, bed, chequed head board and window seating

9. What is your favourite thing to do in Edinburgh in your spare time?

Golf! Scotland is just perfect for anyone who, like me, loves Golf. There are so many beautiful, picturesque courses in and around Edinburgh. If you are a keen golfer, I strongly urge you to bring your clubs with you the next time you visit Edinburgh… You will not regret it!

Thanks Dayne! Enjoy the rest of your shift!





No comments:

Post a Comment